Sunday, September 8, 2013

NYC...My Newest Adventure

So It's been a while. Between moving, getting the house habitable (which is another story for another time...buying a foreclosure is ANYTHING but luxurious)...I've made a drastic life change; New York City, the Upper East Side, Manhattan.

If you didn't know, I'm in the medical field. I've been on both sides of the field; clinical and administrative. For the past 5 years, though, I was a medical biller. I had steady hours of 8:30AM-5PM Monday through Friday...it was a typical "medical billing" job. I had my cubicle, a window, and worked with a bunch of really cool girls who made our monotonous job enjoyable. We came from all over the place...we jokingly referred to ourselves as working on "the island of misfit toys" but we were okay with that. We all had our own personalities and got along great together. Still...I yearned for more. I really wanted to get back into management.

I had absolutely NO plans of leaving my girls at GSU...they were family to me and my whole world outside of my home life with my husband, dog, cat, fish and nieces. I figured it was time to spruce up my resume and update it on Monster, Indeed.com and CareerBuilder so if anyone was interested they would contact me.

About a week or two later I received a call from a doctor on  the Upper East Side in Manhattan. I called him back, not thinking anything would become of it because of the location (not to mention the amount of applicants he had probably received) and feeling a bit down about the previous failed attempt of moving up into management within my company...I would be leaving for vacation in Aruba in about a week anyway so I figured I would just call him back and talk to him. I had a phone interview with him and to my surprise he liked me! He asked me to come in for an interview the day before I left for Aruba...once again, I said to myself "ehh, why not?" So that Friday I hopped on a bus to NYC for the interview.

The interview went EXTREMELY well...I was able to make the doctor laugh and I had a really good vibe coming out of it.

So, I left for vacation...and on Thursday I found out I got the job! I was so excited but so sad at the same time...I knew this was a good move for me but NYC?? Leaving what I've known for 5 years? I didn't know if I would make it without my T-Rex, LWeiss, DJ, Emott, HC, JB, Angie, Sam, Monique, AlbertaV05...such mixed emotions. As much as I knew I would miss my girls, I accepted the job. My husband cheered me on 158%...as he always had. I wouldn't have taken this chance if it wasn't for him cheering and pushing me on to keep reaching and climbing higher...I wish I could be more like him. I wish I could be so optimistic...so ready to "jump" as he always is. He's my parachute...always ready to catch me after shoving me off the ledge :)

Now, I'm a Practice Manager on the Upper East Side, Manhattan, NYC. I've learned a couple of things in my first week commuting to and from NYC....
  • Get the EARLY bus. Unless you want to be stuck in traffic on the turnpike and only make it to the office with 10 minutes to spare.
  • WEAR HEADPHONES. Even if you have no WIFI and there's nothing playing...you won't be approached by tourists asking you how to get to X-street, etc.
  • WEAR SNEAKERS. I still have blisters on top of blisters from wearing my flats and trying to run through the tunnels to the shuttle from Port Authority. NEVER AGAIN.
  • Don't make eye contact. Stare at the floor, the ceiling...just don't.make.eye.contact. Unless you want a stalker.
  • Make friends with the bus driver. He will wave you onto the bus and let you skip the lines as long as you're polite and say "Good Morning!" and "thank you so much!" when exiting the bus.
  • NYC is incredible...learn the grid. Learn the streets. It's much quicker walking above ground than through the underground tunnels.
  • Look around. There is so much to see and hear! Every day when exiting my train there is a band playing in Grand Central Station...it's amazing. I've never experienced anything like it!
  • There is no such thing as personal space on the subways...everyone is packed in the trains like sardines.
  • I don't think I'll EVER get tired of seeing the characters walking around Times Square...Cookie Monster, Elmo, Mickey and Mini Mouse, IronMan....I smile each time I see them!
  • McDonald's in Times Square looks like New Years Eve...with a walk up window! Crazy!
  • Lots of people are on drugs. LOTS. Once again, don't stare.
  • RUN, don't walk. Otherwise you''ll end up as road kill. Those cabbies are reckless.
There is still so much more to experience...and I'm sure that I will have more to say about my experiences...but coming from driving myself to work for years and years to now commuting and using public transportation...honestly I don't think I would ever go back.

So, thanks to Marty and my GSU girls for believing in me. Thanks for all your support, friendship and pushing me off that damn ledge into the unknown. The unknown...so far...is pretty awesome :)

~JL.~

2 comments:

  1. Too bad you skipped the portion where you didn't come back to your home until morning, after a "night with the girls", and a cell phone that was dead - NOT!
    And get to the really juicy parts, where you attempt to steal from your former in-laws the money they loaned to you and your husband (the one that cheered for you 158%).
    Yes, the people that spent hours upon hours working to make the foreclosure property you wanted into a home! Yes, the people that put money on the line - when your own parents wouldn't even honor the commitment they made to fund your wedding. The people that made a HUGE mistake in trusting you. The people that tried to help you recover from the years of foolish spending habits so you could enjoy a nice life.
    The people you royally screwed when you failed to pay the property taxes on the home, allowing it to fall into tax lien status, to the tune of over $11,000. That foolish act nearly lost all of the money we loaned you, in an effort to try to help you. The people you and your disgusting attorney (who is probably the husband of the drunken, loco aunt your family previously wrote off, according to you.) are trying to extort $25,000 from.
    During depositions, when asked your contribution to renovating the home, all you could come up with was that you painted the foundation - WITH your mother in law, and you brought out some trash bags from the basement. The same basement your husband removed mold from, and you didn't participate in working in, "because it wasn't safe".
    You must surely be so proud of your accomplishments. Are your parents as proud of your accomplishments? Are they proud that you are intending to steal our retirement money? You lived in the house we loaned you the money for - and never paid a penny towards purchasing it, or carrying the real estate taxes. Aren't you ashamed of yourself? Aren't your parents ashamed of you? They should be, and you should be humiliated of your actions.
    So go start your new life, bring your bag of problems to someone else's door step.
    I really hope to God that someone burns you in a way so much worse than you ever thought to do to us. We were good and kind, generous and decent to you.
    That trip to Aruba you're speaking of above - did you remember that although we PAID for your airfare, food, drink and lodging, you denied me a glass of wine that was offered to me - "because it was kind of pricey". Would your parents, or the girls at GSU or your "new" friends like this side of you? Not likely.

    You have shown your true colors, and I am so sorry at the pitifully unappreciative, self-centered person you have proven yourself to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And some time later, we hear of your latest venture... to California, to bring your bag of problems onto someone else's doorstep.
    Does this California guy know all about your ex? how you tried to victimize his family? about your Kansas City disaster of a relationship? about the paralyzed room-mate? Just a few more victims in your personal ladder to someone else's success, right.
    We're very happy you're bringing your bag problems (probably in the luggage I purchased for my son, which you absconded with) far away from us, but for the love of God, someone ought to tell "your new guy" to have you sign a lease!
    Those of us that know you, know you will be angling to get your hands on his property/house/money just as soon as you don't get along with him anymore.
    My, my your family must be SO proud of all you haven't accomplished in nearly 35 years... but you keep reaching for those stars, girl, you keep posting quotes from Rocky and Sex in the City in an effort to emulate others. You keep grasping for that star, and coming up empty.

    ReplyDelete